DIY Save the Dates using FUJIFILM Instax Mini 70 camera + giveaway
It’s always fun when we can share a DIY to help make your wedding more personalized, especially with something like Save the Dates—AKA the first hint your guests get at the wedding to come. We partnered with FUJIFILM Instax on these one-of-a-kind Save the Dates featuring two ways you can use these instant film photos. Grab the tutorials below + enter our giveaway below!
If you don’t already have a FUJIFILM Instax Mini 70 instant film camera, you’ve probably at least seen the cute photos they produce. The Instax Mini instant film provides beautiful, sharp images that can be shared instantly, and the front-facing mirror is perfect for selfies, too. There are tons of fun ways to integrate the Mini 70 into weddings from bridesmaid gifts to wedding keepsakes like gifts, books, photo cards, and décor. Why not set the tone for your wedding by including them in your Save the Dates, too?
Aren’t these wood-backed Save the Dates amazing? They’re warm and modern with a rustic touch. The balance between the wood and silk string make it perfect for an outdoor or nature-inspired wedding or even a design that’s a little bit boho. You can even change up the wood color or stain it for a more rustic feel, and any type of string, ribbon, or twine will do. Here’s how to make ’em!
DIY Wood Instax Save the Dates
Instax Mini 70 + Instax Mini film
3/32″ Thick Balsa wood sheets/planks
Silk string (usually for jewelry)
Double stick tape
Paper for printed element (or have this printed professionally, cut to size, and have the holes drilled)
Watercolor or pen for tags
1. Cut wood to size. This wood is extremely lightweight (great for mailing!) so it’s easy to cut with scissors or a craft knife. If fitting into a muslin bag for mailing, make your wood around 1/4″ to 1/2″ smaller in both directions.
2. Use the double stick tape to attach the Instax photos to the wood.
3. Hold the end of your string on the back side and wrap around 3-4 times to secure the photo. Once you have achieved the look you want, tie the string to itself on the back.
4. Attach your printed Save the Date info below the photo with double stick tape.
5. Use the awl to poke two holes on either side of the printed piece.
6. Thread string through both holes on the front side, tie on the back to secure.
7. If you want, add a simple monogrammed tag to the string on the outer muslin bag.
This set of Instax photos is full of imagery with cool tones. The Mini 70 camera is super easy to use, so you’ll be able to create a common theme that goes with your Save the Date designs, while each individual image is completely original.
These Save the Dates have a modern, clean vibe made with copper tape and acrylic, and kraft envelopes that go along with the beachy feel of the photos. If you’re not super savvy in the hand lettering department, you could always print a template using a font you love and trace over it.
1. Cut the acrylic to size using an craft knife or scissors. These #10 envelopes were cut down to 3.875 x 9.25.
2. Place the image and tape down. Trim the edges of your tape to fold over the sides, but not around the back (since you will be able to see that).
3. Use a clean rag to dust off any fibers and clean off prints from your hands while assembling (this will ensure the paint adheres).
4. Use the paint pen to fill in your Save the Date details.
Giveaway! One lucky 100LC reader will receive an Instax Mini 70 with two twin packs of film to get creative with. Simply enter using the widget below for your chance to win: