European weddings with vintage getaway cars may just be our new-old obsession around here. Just sayin’. But really, Emperatris + Jason wrote the book on the classic Praiano elopement. They call Miami home and wanted their wedding to be the trip of a lifetime—for just the two of them. Luckily, their friends + fam were super supportive of their wanderlust and their amazing planner, Catherine of The Wedding Boutique Italy, helped bring it all to fruition. If you’re wondering how to elope on the Amalfi Coast, you’ll want to pin these images by Lace & Luce and bookmark the tips below:
Bride Empy tells it, For us, the decision to elope was one that brought several unique emotions. On one hand, we wanted the chance to celebrate a wedding with our family and friends. On the other, we wanted a unique experience and intimate setting to allow us to focus on the moment of being with each other. After talking with our families, we realized how supportive they were and everyone loved the idea of eloping. We decided to make this the trip of our lives and one we will always remember traveling through Italy and Spain. The ceremony is set in Praiano, Italy, with the ceremony overlooking the Amalfi Coast… It was only us two. However, my sister and her husband surprised us all the way from New York on our actual wedding day. It was a beautiful and an emotional surprise.
Such a pretty invitation suite by Inkpush, don’t you think?
They took a boat ride along the coast before stepping into their vintage Alfa Romeo for a ride to Casa Angelina.
Wondering how to pull off an elopement on the Amalfi Coast? Catherine of The Wedding Boutique Italy shared her secrets:
1. Enlist a wedding planner (of course!). A great (and experienced) wedding planner can literally MAKE your wedding. You can benefit from their valuable advice, and they will guide you step by step through the planning process allowing you to enjoy it along the way. Don’t be afraid to interview a few to see who you connect with, and ensure they understand your vision.
2. Logistics, logistics, logistics. This is the most challenging aspect of an Amalfi Coast wedding, and an area in which a wedding planner who knows the Amalfi Coast inside out, and who has a great relationship with your venue, will be fundamental to a smooth-running wedding. Sometimes a venue is only accessible by foot or tiny transport buggy, so how will your beautiful wooden cross-back chairs get up there?! Don’t hire a car on the Amalfi Coast (traffic, lack of parking and crazy driving will only lead you to regret it!) and do enlist a great, reliable transfer company who can cover your airport transfers and wedding day transfers too.
3. Choose a venue that you feel reflects your personal style and vision, and be careful to choose a venue that works well with your budget and guest count. It should have an appropriate Plan B in case of rain (better to have a backup plan in place). That said, the Italians say ‘sposa bagnata, sposa fortunata’, which means a wet Bride is a lucky Bride!
4. Choose a later ceremony. There are two main reasons to have a later ceremony (especially from late May through mid-September). One is the infamous ‘golden hour’, the hour of stunning dusky light before sunset that your photographer and videographer will love—it’s a good idea to plan your timings with this in mind. Secondly, it can be very hot and humid on the Amalfi Coast—so a late afternoon, early evening ceremony is a must for summer months, preferably not in full sunlight (your photography and videography team will thank you for this too!).
5. Water! Drink lots of it. The humidity on the Amalfi Coast may take you by surprise, so take time to hydrate especially on the wedding day. Take a funky personalized water bottle with you, rather than buying plastic bottles, which is not only environmentally friendly but also handy to fill up at the numerous drinking fountains that can be found along the Coast.
Lastly, make sure to have an amazing photographer like Lace & Luce on board, with plenty of time to capture all the incredible moments that make up your elopement. Our brides fave? Walking down the aisle to the song ‘At Last’ by Etta James, knowing that I am going to spend the rest of my life with the man of my dreams. I always dreamt of this moment and it was simply magical and unforgettable.
Thanks to the talented crew below for a beautiful wedding and Amalfi Coast elopement tips! Cheers, E + J!
Photography: Lace & Luce / Videography: Marco Caputo / Venue: Casa Angelina Lifestyle in Praiano on the Amalfi Coast, Italy / Planner: The Wedding Boutique Italy / Florals: The Wedding Boutique Bloom / Hair & Makeup: Alessandro Mancino / Invitation Suite: Inkpush / Dress: Sarah Seven / Shoes: Alexandre Birman / Accessories: Jennifer Behr